There is this question that everyone wants an answer for, including Wally and I!
Ever since we moved to Abbotsford, at the beginning of December 2007, everybody has been asking us ONE question, over and over, again!
It doesn't matter if we are out and about in Abbotsford, meeting with family and friends or going back to Vancouver to see friends, it doesn't take long and up pops the question again.
All I can say is that WE have not found an answer, yet!
It is a very difficult decision and we want to make the right decision.
A decision that will guide the rest of our lives.
We have been told not to rush into anything, to take our time, as much as we need. It could take up to a year, sometimes longer, sometimes sooner, but not to rush into anything!
So why then, I wonder, are people rushing us for an answer?
What do all these folks want to know?
They want to know whether or not we have chosen a NEW home church yet?
Wally and I have been at Sherbrooke Mennonite Church, in Vancouver, ever since we both came to Canada. I came in December of 1968 and Wally came in June of 1972 and after visiting a few of the Vancouver Mennonite Churches, both Mennonite Brethern (MB) and General Conference, he chose Sherbrooke, even though he was baptized MB.
I was baptized at Sherbrooke and Wally and I were married there.
Our children grew up there and Cynthia, our daughter, and her husband Steve, were both, baptized and married at Sherbrooke.
We, Wally & I, have been very heavily involved in the life of Sherbrooke, over the last few decades and now that we have moved, we have basically said good bye to our Spiritual Home!
How do you chose a NEW church to be your home?
Well, that is the $64,000.00 question!
We have tried a few of the local churches, here in Abbotsford, but nothing has been decided, yet!
Wally is so happy that the churches are so close to our home and there is no more need for commuting, like we have done for most of our married life, from where ever we lived, like Ladner, Richmond, Surrey and even Cloverdale, for a short time.
But, you know what? I would consider commuting if it meant that we would be attending the same church with at least some of our children and grandchildren, but that is probably not going to happen.
What will be the deciding factor? I have no clue!
In one church we have a ton of friends and family, but alas, we don't quite feel being called to making it our home.
In another church, from the first time we attended there, we both thought, "Wow, it feels just like Sherbrooke!" but.... yes there is a but, we have NO family there and only some distant acquaintances. People that we have met over the years while participating in Conferences and other functions.
So what is more important? Family and friends? Or feeling like you are at home again?
I keep thinking that family and friends will always be family and friends, no matter where you attend church but will the family and friends feel the same way and understand, should we decide to go to one church rather than the other one?
Another thing is, and this is a BIG thing, one church is from one Conference and the other is from another Conference.
For me personally, I am not ready to start from scratch in a new Conference. I worked as Sherbrooke Church's secretary, for almost 5 years. During this time I had the privilege of meeting many people that work and volunteer for the Conference, not to mention most of the other Church secretaries. I value all these relationships and am not ready to leave them behind, as well.
A new church is change enough!
I know, of course, that the most important thing is that each church preaches about the Risen Lord, Jesus Christ but there are many other little things that make a church a HOME.
In the end, which church is it going to be?
With lots of prayer, an open mind and some more time, at the moment only God knows!
In the mean time, we will continue to visit a few more local churches and see what the Lord has in store for us!
One thing is for sure, both Wally and I do not believe in church hopping, church shopping because of having moved; sure, but not going from one church to another for no good reason.
When the time comes and we know where God is leading us, that is where we will worship, serve and work to the best of our abilities, once again!
Would love to hear from anyone who has been in this kind of predicament.
Keep us in your prayers and I will update everyone once there is something more to report on this subject.
The blessings and hardships of being sandwiched, between aging parents, children and grandchildren! Living Life to the fullest, by the Grace of the Almighty! Everyday, ordinary experiences in Words & Pictures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to my Neighbourhood!
Thanks for stopping in my neighbourhood while on your journey!
When you're done, be so kind and sign the guest-book or, if you enjoyed a particular post, please leave a comment!
Until next time! God Bless!
When you're done, be so kind and sign the guest-book or, if you enjoyed a particular post, please leave a comment!
Until next time! God Bless!
5 comments:
it's always the question.
For us, we knew we didn't want to join a church just because all of our friends went there, though we did try it out one Sunday. We wanted to find one that was right for US. And as it turned out, there were a few people we knew there! And it was the right church. Fortunately, it was the third church we tried, but you never know...in this Bible belt of Canada, there are so many options...
praying you and Wally find the church that is right for YOU :)
Oh right, and I was baptized MB, and while Alf wanted to stay GC (or whatever it's called now), he was not closed to MB, and when we found South Abbotsford to fit us so well, he didn't mind switching Conferences, but that's just how it went in this house :) It has to be what you're comfortable with, right? :)
I'm sure you'll find a Church that will be suiteable in many ways for the both of you. Give ours a try and let us know what you think!!!!! I think you'll like it, all though it is a bit of a commute from Abby but it might be worth the 20/30 minute drive! It starts at 10:30am so you'd have lots of time to get there. Good luck with finding the right Church for the both of you! :-)
andrew and i church hopped trying out about 3-5 different churches. i am bapitized GC, and we both grew up in the mennonite GC church. like kelly we didn't want to go to a church just b/c we we had family or friends there that we were close with. we are now at a four square gospel (pentacostal) church, in richmond (15 min drive from us), where we knew 4 people and have gotten to know a lot more. we are loving it and felt this is where we are supposed to be. hope you and wally are able to find something that is right for you guys!
There is always the option start your own church..HEHEHEHE !!! Good luck with this decision. Meet lots of new people along the way.
Post a Comment