Friday, May 16, 2008

Friends! Life's Reward!

Two weekends ago I spent a day at Camp Squeah with friends that I appreciate more and more as time passes.
Most of you know that I used to be the secretary at Sherbrooke Mennonite Church a few years ago. (Wow! How quickly time passes, it's been 3 years already since I stepped away from that job.)
These two are the outgoing and incoming office administrators at Camp Squeah.
Sooo... we now have a male in our midst, once again!
Welcome to the Gang!

In any case, while I worked at Sherbrooke, I made some wonderful friends, all of them doing the same job I was doing just in another church in our Conference of Churches in BC.
Every 2 months or so, the secretaries get together for a lunch and some fellowship. They share their burdens and pray for each other. They also share office horror stories, work tips and just have a lot of fun together.
Once a year, the group heads out to Camp Squeah for an overnighter and, being an "Alumni", I am still invited to the Retreat.
We start of by attending the MC BC Women' Inspirational Day.

The "Journey Singers" at the Inspirational Day.
Eben-Ezer Mennonite Church.


After everyone has enjoyed the afternoon program, fellowship and dinner, the group heads out to Camp Squeah. This year, for some reason, we missed a few familiar faces that should have been there, but a lot of fun was still had by everyone that did attend.
The "Boss Secretary" always arranges some sort of workshop for Sunday evening and when that is done the fun begins. Chocolate fondue, fellowship, games & lots of laughter!
Unfortunately, I missed that part this year because there was a bit too much on my plate that day! The day before, May 3rd, my niece got married and the gift opening was happening as the secretaries were heading out to Camp so I decided to join them bright and early the next day.

Mr. & Mrs! ! !
Saturday, May 3rd, 2008


Monday morning was gorgeous and the drive out was beautiful and very enjoyable.
For the Monday at Camp, a few things have become tradition, rain or shine!

ONE - the annual group picture!

MC BC Secretaries Retreat 2008

TWO - some sort of craft project; and we've done some fun and interesting stuff over the years.
This year it was glass etching!

The "Boss Secretary" working on her project!

My finished project!
The glass ! ! !
There was no time for pool!

THREE - our hike through the Nature Trail. I just love that little walk through the woods.
At this time of year you see the most amazing things, if you keep your eyes open! ! !
I just love to take nature pictures and here are just a few of the many I took!

To have friends that you can share good time with is such a blessing.
There are so many different kinds of friends that come across our path during our life, childhood friends, youth friends, friends one shares as a couple if you're married, etc, etc.
This is a group of friends that I am privileged to have because of a time in my life when I was referred to as the Church Secretary and I will always be grateful for having had that opportunity. It gave me the chance to meet wonderful people in our church and in the larger church community in BC and even through Canada.
I learned so much during the almost 5 years I served. It will be a part of me for the rest of my life, and hopefully this "Special Group" of friends will be there, too!
Here is to the Church Secretaries!
A job much larger that any job description could ever do justice!
May the Lord bless them, one and all!

"Controlling other people's lives
Is not a godly leader's trait;

But serving other people's needs

Is what the Lord considers great.
" ---Sper


The only leaders qualified to lead are those who have learned to serve!
Found in the Daily Bread - May 5, 2008

2 comments:

Darlene Caron said...

Looks like you had a great time. Congrats to your niece....

Lucy said...

Looks like a bunch of fun!! Glad to hear you had a great time!

Welcome to my Neighbourhood!

Thanks for stopping in my neighbourhood while on your journey!
When you're do
ne, be so kind and sign the guest-book or, if you enjoyed a particular post, please leave a comment!
Until next time! God Bless!